Monday, April 6, 2009

Various Artists - Red Hot + Bothered: the indie rock guide to dating


The track list speaks for itself.  These were mostly (entirely?) unreleased or alternate versions of songs by eighteen of 1994's hottest indie rock superstars.  It hearkens back to the day when lo-fi was often a fiscal necessity as much as it was a stylistic choice.  

Obviously, this was an early release in the now long-running series of Red Hot releases benefitting AIDS education, treatment and research.  As far as I can tell, this comp has been out of print for many years.  So, you should not feel guilty about downloading it today.  You are not taking Atripla out of anyone's mouth.  Nevertheless, if you are so inclined, please stop over to the Red Hot web site.  Poke around, learn some, maybe make a donation.

"Sensational Gravity Boy" performed by Freedom Cruise
"Still Flat" performed by Built to Spill + Caustic Resin
"The Mirror Is Gone" performed by Lisa Germano
"Mouthwash" performed by Noise Addict
"Indierockinstrumental" performed by Folk Implosion
"Some Fantasy" performed by The Verlaines
"Little League" performed by Liquorice
"Hazmats *" performed by Babe The Blue Ox
"Mainland China *" performed by Juicy
"The Fontana *" performed by The Sea and Cake
"Sotto Voce" performed by Cradle Robbers
"Rex’s Blues" performed by Jay Farrar + Kelly Willis
"Empty Yard" performed by Grifters
"Miracleland" performed by East River Pipe
"Snail Trail *" performed by Heavenly
"Hopeless *" performed by Future Bible Heroes
"Servicing Man *" performed by Flying Nuns
"Quietly Approaching *" performed by Gastr Del Sol

6 comments:

snivel and run said...

i kid you not, I just pulled this out the other day to listen to.

Anonymous said...

Hey there Panzan. Through a pure coincedence I found a link to your music blog and thought that was amazing. I used to be WRCT as "E" for about 92-94. I don't know if you remember me.

I couldn't find a better way of trying to contact you other than leaving a comment. Anyway I have a question for you, since you seem to still have some knowledge of the indie. For years I have been hoping to get ahold of something that I played back in the day. The band was called Zoom. I have their CD called Helium Octipede and it's good, but they had another that I think was better. On the CD, I want to say, were tracks called Ernst and Son (pretty sure about that one) and Planet Pinball (not as sure about that one). Know anywhere I can get it?

I tried contacting info@wrct.org or something (listed on their site) a few months back but didn't get a reply.

-e

panzan said...

Hi E. I do remember there being a DJ called E and I was actually GM in 92-93, so I should remember you... but I cannot place you. Full name? (offline of you want)

Anyway, I have that Zoom CD you are asking about. I can rip it and post it Friday or Saturday. I'm out of town right now.

Oddly enough, Helium Octipede is in my queue of CDs to upload already. I'll probably put both of them up. I actually like Helium Octipede better, btw, but both are great.

Anonymous said...

That is the most super thing ever. Honestly I haven't heard the other Zoom album in probably 15 years so it's hard to say which is better. I just seem to remember the guitar work on Ernst and Son was really tight.

I was thinking about it and realized that here's a thingy that lists my name (as the registrant).

http://www.who.is/whois/viscous.com/

Anonymous said...

Hey there Panzan, just wanted to check, did you get a chance to put up Zoom? I wasn't sure if you would be making a new blog post about it when you did.

Nick said...

Could you refresh the rapidshare link? Thanks! Love the blog!