Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Tanner - (Germo) Phobic

Lots of good stuff was coming out of San Diego in the early 90s.  Rocket From the Crypt (RIP) got lots of the attention, and deservedly so - you would be hard pressed to find a band more dedicated than RFTC to the absolute entertainment and enjoyment of every fan at their shows.  Of course, one of frontman John Reis' other bands was arguably far more influential.   Indeed, Drive Like Jehu is one of my all time favorites, and undoubtedly inspired a few others.  

One of Jehu's later tour partners were fellow San Diegoans Tanner.  One time ubiquitous indie behemoth Caroline even released their first LP, Ill Gotten Gains.   And if you search the interwebs for a minute or two you should be able to find a copy for yourself.  (If not, let me know.  I'll be happy to upload upon request).  

The follow-up LP (Germo) Phobic was far more difficult to find.  Not just in today's blog- and P2P-driven communities.  I mean that when the CD was hot off the presses you could not find the fucker anywhere.  The label never even serviced my old college station, WRCT - and in those days, EVERYONE serviced WRCT.  I never saw a copy at my local record store, either, and it was not for a lack of looking. The scarcity continues today.  Google doesn't seem to know about any other blog uploads, so I'm just trying to do my part.

Enough with the preamble.  If you like Jehu and similar-minded tight, tense, and intense guitar-driven rock, get to clickin'.

4 comments:

Buddhaboy said...

cheers for the excellent music. I forgot about this album as well as Coral Pillowtalk. I had them years ago but lost my copies sometime back. Could you post Coral Altamont in Dub if you have a copy as I've been looking for it online but can't find it anywhere.

panzan said...

I do have Altamont in Dub. I'll try to get that up sometime tonight.

Cheryl-n-Henry said...

this link doesn't work for me. is it possible you could reload onto mediafire?!? thanks!!!!

panzan said...

try it again. it works for me right now. you can also try using SkipScreen (www.skipscreen.com). if neither works come back and let me know.