Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Wedding Present - Watusi

You can't swing a dead cat in a room full of aging hipsters without lashing someone who owns a copy of Seamonsters.  With good reason.  What I don't get is why more people don't also adore the follow up, Watusi.  

Lyrically, it continues the usual themes of unrequited love and narcissistic heartbreak.  Musically, however, the band built on the shredding guitar template and adopted a somewhat more diverse sonic palette.  Recording with Steve Fisk may have helped.  Listen to Fisk's contemporary project Pell Mell (posted yesterday, here) and you may hear what I mean.  

It's difficult to find this album in any format right now.  It is not for sale at any of the major mp3 stores. I could not even find it posted on another blog.  Hopefully, Island Records will not hammer me as hard as they did Negativeland.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

Albert DeGuerre said...

Watusi is so far inferior to Seamonsters, that it is an offensive notion for me to fathom the concept of it being perceived otherwise. Watusi is when the balls fell off of David Gedge, and he had some pretty tiny nuggets dangling for sure. Come on, there ya aging hipster.

panzan said...

we will agree to disagree then.

Disco:Very said...

I agree to disagree with Albert. I just happen to play "Watusi" the other day and was peeing myself gleeful over how good it still sounds after all these years. "Seamonsters" is a fine album, but the headphone-tastic pop sheen of "Watusi" makes my goosebumps get goosebumps every time. Full disclosure: I am not David Gedge.