Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Peter Brötzmann / William Parker / Hamid Drake - Never Too Late But Always Too Early [LIVE]

I'm not much of a writer when it comes to describing jazz (and you could probably argue that I'm not much better with  other music).  But, I know what I like.  As a former sax player, I envy Peter Brötzmann's intensity and stamina. I love Hamid Drake's sense of rhythmic imagination. I love almost everything I've heard with Drake and William Parker playing together.  So, naturally, I love this massive two-disc live set.

If you already enjoy modern jazz styles, I think you will enjoy this too.  If you are a newcomer, there's no time like the present.  These three musicians are among the most (dare I say) important innovators on their respective instruments in the last 40 years.

No comments: