Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Most Secret Method - Get Lovely

Where to start?

I suspect that some subscribers to this blog have their own  forgotten favorites, as I do.  Bands who were criminally unknown in their time.  Music so transcendent that I cannot believe I am the first to post it for download in teh blog-o-sphere.

I live in Pittsburgh but I have a few friends in DC.  In my single days that was a no-brainer weekend roadie, with time to spare for post-show Ben's Chili Bowl plus a Saturday afternoon record shopping and billiards spree in Fells Point.  

I first saw The Most Secret Method play in 1999 at the Move Studio in Pittsburgh, a dance studio/indie rock show space in a distressed suburb called Wilkinsburg.   I can't remember for sure who they opened for (I think it was Juno), but I know they made a lasting impression.  I made at least three trips after that to catch them in DC, including their sweltering farewell show at the Black Cat in August 2002.  Every trip would have been a blast regardless, but the Most Secret Method was the reason.

How to describe them?  Take the SG-driven sound of Fugazi, combine it with the post-hardcore pop slant of Jawbox, add the male-female vocal dueling of X, arrange it with the minimalistic economy of the Minutemen, front it with a Broadway-caliber singer, and back it with a fretless bass virtuoso.  If you liked the DC sound of the late 90s but you never head them before, The Most Secret Method are your new favorite band from that scene.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am quite liking this.